Coral Shores High School

Coral Shores High School

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

More fast swimming in Hialeah

Well, I would say the winter season has officially begun. OK i will admit it.... It was a LITTLE cold in the morning, but it warmed up a lot as the day progressed. We swam a good meet in Hialeah this past weekend. It seems like every meet we go to someone is getting a best time, or nudging a little closer. There were some very good swims in general, but also I must say a meet is a good learning tool for me. It helps re-connect me with the team, and the things we still need to work on. We are fast right now, but only in short events. I know I am a sprinter, but I would like to see better 200's of freestyle, and all strokes. Also, we need to tighten the small things: turns, breakouts, starts.

Again we took a large group, and again we had people swimming in thier first meet ever. The thing that I am most proud of is that kids are getting interested in the sport, and I am glad to be a part of making that happen. I love to sense thier exctiement as they are experiencing a race for the first time. It is pure. It is the cultivation of the competetive spirit. A intangible human trait. It is only at meets that I will ever know who will really be a swimmer, and I must say that I am pleased with the competetive spirit that I have seen from my veteran team members, as well as some of my rookies. Again... I want to make swimmers that not only want to race, but have all the tools neccecery to be confident they can swim fast in that race!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cold...I would be please with swimming outdoors. You can't image how cold it starts to be back here. Worst part is definitely to get out of my warm bed by 5.15 for morning practice in a cold SCM pool. But hey, it's swimming and swimming is fun ;-)

Head Coach Mark Hill said...

Nico, I dont think anyone can complain to you about swimming on cold weather. I am not going to lie.. I have gotten a little soft since I moved down here. But, I agree with you. If you love to swim then you will get up, and get it done