Coral Shores High School

Coral Shores High School

Monday, November 12, 2007

The Pot Luck


Well, we had our pot luck this weekend, and I think that things went great. First the kids on my team got to see the race club guys swim a 100 FAST! And, when I say fast, I mean guys were swimming :43-:44 sec for a hundred freestyle in practice. Also, there were a couple of guys who went :54-:55 in the 100 breaststroke. Those are close to NCAA A cut times. I know for a fact that my team never saw first hand people swim that fast. I will never forget the ooo's and ahhh's from some of them.

After the race 100, my swimmers had a opportunity to work with the swimmers on their strokes in a mini clinic. It was nice to see the Race Club in the water with my club kids. My swimmers got little tips, and pointers from the best in town!

After some stroke work the Race Club guys swam a race 50. Again people were putting up very fast times. Nathan Adrian went 19.89! Even I got super pumped up for that one. The kids also got a chance to see swimmers like Gary Hall Jr. and Sabir Mohamad race. That is a once in a lifetime thing for some of them, and I hope they wont ever forget it.

At the end of the Race 50's Gary and Sabir were picked as team capt's and they split the whole group into two relays. The relay's were a mix of my club team and the world team. I was so happy to see my kids excitement when they saw they would be swimming on the same relay as a Olympian.

In the end, I don't think things could have gone better. My kids were excited by fast swimming, and it motivated them to want to swim fast. As a coach I could ask for nothing more. It opened up their mind, and it was as if someone told them YES you can be this fast one day. It helped reinforce all that I do, and I couldn't have been a happier coach.

After all the swimming we ate, and hung out together as one big team because that is what we really are. Some took pictures, and some got autographs from some of the swimmers. Everyone was smiling,my kids were running around laughing, the weather was beautiful, and I couldn't think of a place that I would have rather been at that time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won't miss next time!

A quote for all the FKSC swimmer:
Believe in your dreams. Make them a reality!

Your coach is right about telling you that you can be one of the fast swimmer someday (all of you seem to be on on the right track already).

Head Coach Mark Hill said...

Nico, again thank you for your kind, and insightfull comments. They would be smart to remember your encouraging words. We did miss you at the picnic, and hopefully next time you can be there. I hope all is going well with you. Talk to you soon.. Thank you for posting!

Anonymous said...

I finally had the chance to catch up with the blog. Great job Mark! That is not just for the blog, but certainly extended to the coaching. I love your positive approach with the kids and your appreciation to the parents. In life we never stop learning. Thank you for teaching me, and my children! Tina Turner has already said it: "You're simply the BEST!"