Coral Shores High School

Coral Shores High School

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tamiami LC Meet

Finally back to long course season. I do have to say that I love swimming yards because of the speed, but lets be realistic for a second. No other country in the world swims 25yds except the United States. I would say that in order to be a successful meters swimmer, one has to be a good swimmer as opposed to someone who is just good at starts and turns. This meet gave me a chance to see what kind of swimmers we were with minimal meter training.

When I first opened the heat sheet I immediately relaxed. The times that I saw next to my swimmers names were going to get crushed. I had extreme confidence on that. Some of the best times that were on the heat sheet were intervals that we have been training in workout. Of course I really didn't let on too much. I wanted them to be confident, but not over confident.

This team has come such a long way in a year. Kids are so far in front of their former selves. Lets put it like this. Every swimmer at the meet swam 4 events each day. On each day only one or two kids didn't get a best time in one of those four events, but did best times in all their other events. EVERY OTHER kid did a best times in EVERY EVENT they swam on BOTH days. WOW! I hope they were please with themselves because I know I was pleased with them.

But the word that describes our team is EVOLUTION. I know that at the next meet it will be hard to get best times. The faster you get the harder it becomes. This meet was only the start. It has now motivated me to make sure our team keeps moving in a positive direction. If they are focused then so am I...and that is a dangerous combination for anyone swimming against us!

No comments: