Coral Shores High School

Coral Shores High School

Monday, October 22, 2007

Districts

Man, that went fast! It seemed like only a short while ago I didn't know any of the high school kids, they didn't know me, and nobody knew what to expect. Well, after a little more than a month I have gotten to know 27 individuals very well, they have gotten to know me, and all of us have high expectations for what is to come.

We have gone quite a long distance in just a short amount of time. I firmly believe that every single person on this team got smarter, stronger, and faster. In fact at this District Championship I would firmly stand on the fact that 98% of this team did a personal best time. I would also say that about 90% of them came back to swim again, and score points in either a championship, or consolation final. That being said, our men's team placed third out of nine teams, and our women's team placed fourth out of nine teams. The schools in front of us cost more than $20,000 a year, and can afford to recruit. We were the #1 public school in the district. My new slogan is : YOU ARE BIGGER, WE ARE FASTER! I am not scared of either of these teams. They are not better than we are. As we grow, they will see that.

I have never been more pleased with a season. This was really my first season as a head coach. I designed the program, and watched it go through its process. Some times I wanted to scream into a pillow, and other times I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe,but I always enjoyed being there, and can't really think of a better profession. I am so overwhelmingly proud of all of my swimmers. They showed tremendous heart, passion, and strength that I have only seen at the highest levels of this sport. They were not just swimmers, but more so people achieving and enhancing themselves. There are many in this world who can say that they don't get better every single day. Well, my swimmers, at least for a month and a half, can all say that they did!

I encourage any swimmer from the high school team to continue swimming on my club team. This way we can take one step close to achieving our goals.

Here are some links for your enjoyment:
http://www.fhsaa.org/guest/swim/district/1_12.asp District Results

http://www.fhsaa.org/guest/swim/district/1_4_selection.asp List Of Regional Qualifiers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could say that I did improve every single day the last month. Maybe I did but my body was so tired of all this "garbage yardage" that I couldn't feel it. Anyway that was in the past and I'm happy I did the hard work the right way. Now we start to have fun here and I feel better every time I jump in the pool.

But there's one thing I did improve every single day since my last visit in Islamorada with you Mark - the floating drill. On good days I float on the top of the water - I'm a human kickboard :-)

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.